Happy day! I finished up the new logo for the site (and my Twitter). This was probably one of the easier ones to do, mostly because I took a lot of elements from my other sculpts. It is very much a testament to how much of a difference a good render can make, I’ve included the original un-edited Blocks image for comparison, which you can check out here. But! The main cube required a lot of inner blocks to line up just perfectly, which wouldn’t normally be an issue with grid mode on, but Blocks has a glitch where sometimes blocks will just go off by a tiny bit when you move them, meaning it doesn’t line up anymore. As far as I can tell this happens when you’re working at the smallest level, and you edit a piece to go right to the smallest it can go. This can ruin an hour’s worth of work, because there’s no fix at all. Hopefully it’ll get ironed out soon.
The water looks almost magical, which was an accident. I used a glass shader, but then added some light emission, and didn’t let the renderer run for enough samples. Those are technically bad artifacts, but I like ’em.
This was actually one of the simplest renders I’ve ever done. I just imported the .obj, added two lights, made the inside of the letters (and the campfires) emissives, and messed around with contract. I didn’t even have to unwrap anything, because Blocks saves .mtl files with the .obj, meaning the colours from Blocks carries over. Even if that wasn’t the case, rendering can be a simple process for Blocks, I’d encourage anyone to check out my Blocks to Blender guide to add some life to your pieces.
Anyway, time for some more Blocks!