Preview for another asset pack commision: Environmental!

I’m making another asset back for the Google Blocks devs, this time for generating environments. It’s going well, I haven’t made a nice presentation shot yet, but the demo scenes that I’ve made using some of the assets look pretty good. There’s still work to be done, especially on presenting the pack itself, but it’s getting very close to done!

Advertisements

Knights Character Kit (Commissioned By Google Blocks Team)

So here’s something cool, I was contracted by the Google Blocks dev team to make them a character kit! They bought the kit from me, and it’s now available for anyone to download and play around with. This one took a while, but I’m happy with how it came out, and I’m loving what other users are making with the pieces.

Check out (And get!) the kit here.

No Man’s Sky Spaceship

No Man’s Sky is one of those game that I love to come back to every now and again for the scenery, and since the entire game is based on having things made from different modular parts, I thought it’d be fun. It’s a basic scene, but I spent way too much time on the small detailing lines on the ships hull. Still, had a good time! Also played around with some colours to see how it changed the tone of the piece. Fun fact: colours opposite each other on the colour wheel tend to complement each other nicely.

Check out the basic ship model here, and the planet plus ship model here.

Image

Google Cardboard

OK, I finally had time again! Blocks had an update last week that fixed that issue where pieces would just suddenly not line up anymore, and I wanted to test that, so here’s a piece that has lots of thing, aligned components. As always, rendered in Blender’s Cycles engine.

This one really helped with practicing UV unwrapping. I’ve been using the basic smart unwrap sofar, but that’s not good enough for this close-up. So I generally selected “Cube unwrap”, and using the “UV/Image edit” view in Blender, positioned the relevant faces over the parts of the texture that I wanted it to use. Went pretty well, although doing all those edges took a while.

Here’s the VR.Google link, if you want to check out the original piece.

Other update: I’m back at UNI now, so these will be more spaced out. But, I’m learning to use Maya there, so expect some more professional pieces soon, hopefully!

Reach Out

So this one was really fun. I took a bunch of photos of my hand in the pose that I wanted, and checked out a bunch of drawing guides for hands. I imported those into Blocks, and set about making a segmented model. It took a long time (Especially the thumb) because it turns out the human eye is really good at detecting when such a familiar shape is… a bit off. For the butterfly I traced over an image from a research paper. The hand and butterfly were two separate Blocks models, so I could import them around easily individually in Blender. (But I now know you can actually split models in Blender!)

The solid material was (once again) a remix of Reynante Martinez’s Dragon Ball freebie, with some extra emissive to give it a nice glow. The outlines were tricky. I had to make an exact copy of the model, keeping it in the exact same position. This copy I made emissive, and applied a wireframe modifier to. The wireframe was set to only 0.005 thickness, and that made the edges glow! The issue was there were several that were unwanted, so I had to go and individually delete those that I didn’t need.

Check out the Blocks model here.

Will definitely use this style again, I love the look!